Many of us grieve deeply over family members or friends who don’t know the Lord. If you are like me, there may even be some for whom you’ve prayed many years who still have not come to Christ. Don’t give up!
This Lenten season I am devoting more focused time toward praying for unbelievers. Will you join with me?
Our ministry partner Prayer Power developed a helpful guide called “Scriptures for Victory: Armed with the Sword of the Spirit,” which we’ve utilize in some of our Pregnancy Resource Centers.
With Prayer Power’s permission, I’m sharing their section below on praying for the lost.
Here are a few verses paraphrased for prayer:
- Father, I affirm Your heart for the lost:
● You are not willing for anyone to perish (2 Peter 3:9).
● You want all men to be saved (1 Timothy 2:4).
● You gave Your only Son so that anyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16).
- Jesus, You have already paid the price:
● You gave Yourself as a ransom for all men (1 Timothy 2:5-6).
● You suffered death for everyone (Hebrews 2:9).
● You gave Yourself as the atoning sacrifice for the whole world (1 John 2:2).
- Father, because these things are true of the lost:
● They cannot discern spiritual things (1 Corinthians 2:14).
● You alone can draw them to Jesus (John 6:44).
● You alone can enable them to come to Christ (John 6:65).
● Their hearts need to be opened to respond to the gospel (Acts 16:14).
- I ask You in mercy to:
● Make them alive with Christ even when they are dead in their sins (Ephesians 2:5).
● Save them by Your grace (Ephesians 2:4-5, 8-9).
● Help them hear Your call on their lives (Romans 11:29).
- Father, protect them from the evil one:
● Come against the father of lies (John 8:44) with the truth that will set them free (John 8:32).
● Keep them safe from the thief who wants to steal Your Word from their heart (Mark 4:14-15).
● Let them remember every word of Your truth they have ever heard, for Your words are spirit and they are life (John 6:63).
- Deliver them from Satan:
● Change their hearts and help them to learn the truth, so that they will come to their senses and escape from the devil’s trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants. (2 Timothy 2:25-26, NLT)
● Help them demolish the strongholds in their minds by bringing every thought captive to obey Christ (2 Corinthians 10:4-5).
- Father, grant them receptive hearts that will:
● Believe in Jesus (John 3:16; 3:36; 11:25-26).
● Receive Christ and believe in His name (John 1:12).
● Call on the name of the Lord Jesus and be saved (Romans 10:13).
- Father, help them to yield in spirit, so that they may:
● Repent, lest they perish (Luke 13:3, 5).
● Hear the Holy Spirit as He convicts them of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment (John 16:7-8).
● Allow the Spirit to give them godly sorrow that brings repentance (2 Corinthians 7:10).
- Father, in every prayer for the lost:
No matter how far they seem from seeing and hearing the Truth, I acknowledge in confidence that what is impossible with men is possible with You (Luke 18:22-27)! In Jesus’ name, amen.