6 Characteristics of a Gifted Evangelist
- An ability to communicate with non-Christians. Because he has the ability to understand what non-Christians are thinking and asking, he says things in a way that uniquely communicates to them.
- Enjoys conversations with unbelievers. He often gravitates toward activities that involve non-Christians. In his conversations with them, he demonstrates a listening ear and a caring heart.
Related: Evangelism dos and don’ts this election season
- Motivates believers. The gift of evangelism brings with it an excitement and enthusiasm that often has a way of motivating believers. Many believers have felt called to a higher level of service as a result of hearing an evangelist.
- May be able to teach. I use the word “may” because it’s definite that he can equip, but a person doesn’t necessarily have to teach in order to equip. He can do it by example. But along with that, there is sometimes a special ability to teach believers how to do evangelism, as well.
- A desperate need to preach the gospel. A person gifted in evangelism feels frustrated if he’s not around non-Christians. He has a desperate need to tell others about Jesus! I caution churches who add an evangelist to their staff not to keep him so tied up with Christians that he has no time to be around the unsaved. Otherwise, they will have a frustrated staff member.
- A special ability in reaping. Because he pays attention to what non-Christians are thinking and asking, he knows how to communicate in ways that bring unbelievers to a point of decision.
Interested in free evangelism training?
Whether you’re a seasoned evangelist or you’re on the verge of sharing for the first time, our online evangelism training is a great next step. You’ll find short courses for personal evangelism, crisis evangelism, workplace evangelism and more. You’ll receive a printable certificate for every course you complete. Check it out!
EvanTell has been training Christians to share the gospel for nearly 50 years. In that time, we have held more than 850,000 trainings and have facilitated 42,000,000 gospel presentations across 25 countries.
Have more questions? Contact Us.
PO Box 703929
Dallas, TX 75370-3929